Roz was admitted to practice in 1991 after completing her articles of clerkship at Mallesons Stephen Jaques in Melbourne. She has been a registered migration agent since 1992 and worked as a solicitor at Mallesons Stephen Jaques and Freehills before joining the Victorian Bar in 1997.
Roz is an expert in immigration and refugee law with over 20 years of practical experience in these areas. She handles a full range of immigration and refugee matters from the primary decision level to merits and judicial review. Her experience in this field includes working as a research and case officer at the Department of Immigration and Ethnic Affairs (as it then was) and as a Full-time Member of the Refugee Review Tribunal in Sydney.
Roz practices in the full range of migration applications with particular emphasis on employer sponsored migration. In addition to her work representing clients at the MRT, RRT, AAT and the Courts, her practice involves:
- advising migration agents and lawyers concerning their clients' more complex matters
- advising migration agents and lawyers about compliance issues concerning the Migration Agents Code of Conduct
- acting for law firms who require the services of a registered migration agent for their clients
- representing migration agents and lawyers who are the subject of investigation by the MARA
- drafting fee agreements and employment contracts for migration agents and their clients.
Roz has been a presenter and director of Migration Practice Essentials since June 2003. Her teaching experience also includes being a guest tutor at the Leo Cussen Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Administrative Law Basics, Freedom of Information and Federal Court Practice.
From 1997 to 2001 Roz was the Secretary of the Victorian Chapter of the Australian Institute of Administrative Law (AIAL). Roz organised and presented seminars for the AIAL dealing with natural justice and immigration law.
Before embarking on her legal career, Roz tutored in history at Monash University and in trade practices law and contract law at the David Syme School of Business at the Chisholm Institute which is now the Caulfield Campus of Monash University. Roz is a contributing author to the Lexis Nexis Immigration Law Service.
Publications and Papers
- Fairness Under Threat: Procedures at the Migration and Refugee Review Tribunals – Law Institute Journal November 2012
- A Bridge Across Time - Law Institute Journal June 2012
- "An overview of the Grounds of Exemption under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic)" - FOI for FOI Officers - Advanced FOI, Leo Cussen Institute, September 2003
- Co-author - Refugee Law in Australia (Oxford University Press, May 2003)
- "The Role of Discretion under the Migration Act" August 2002 - Butterworths Immigration Review Bulletin
- The Impact of Recent High Court Decisions on Immigration - Paper given at the Law Institute Annual Conference, 17 September 1999, Hotel Sofitel Melbourne
- Natural Justice Obligations of Non-Government Bodies - Paper given at the Annual Natural Justice Up-Date Seminar, Australian Institute of Administrative Law, Monash University Conference Centre, October 1998
- Administrative Law Basics, Leo Cussen Institute, Melbourne -1998-2002
- Employer Obligations under the Migration Act - Business Law Education Centre 1997
- Representing your client before the Department, the IRT and the RRT - Business Law Education Centre 1996