Peter Papadopoulos is currently a Director of Nomos Pty Ltd, a business specialising in the provision of immigration law advice, advisory services and educational programmes. He is recognised by the Law Society of New South Wales as an Accredited Specialist in Immigration Law. Peter was admitted to practice in 1996 after graduating with Honours in Law and Commerce at The University of Melbourne and completing his articles of clerkship at Arnold Bloch Leibler. He has been a registered migration agent since 1997. Between 1997 and 2000, he worked as a solicitor at King Wood Mallesons and a Senior Associate at Gadens Lawyers. Between 2000 and May 2014, Peter ran his own specialist migration law practice in both Melbourne and Sydney. From May 2014 until December 2015, Peter was a Director of Global Immigration at Ernst & Young.
Peter is an expert in immigration law matters with extensive professional experience in advising clients both in Australia and overseas. He is a member of the Law Council of Australia's Migration Law Committee, the Law Institute of Victoria's Migration Law Committee, the Migration Institute of Australia and has been an active volunteer solicitor at the Victorian AIDS Council HIV/AIDS Legal Centre. Peter has also served as the Secretary to the International Law Committee of the Law Council of Australia, a chair at the Australian Society of HIV Medicine 2006 National Conference and as a director of Metta Youth Limited, a non-profit youth organisation. Since 2011, Peter has been annually voted by his peers as one of Australia's best immigration lawyers and has been included on the annual Best Lawyers list for Australia.
Migration Advice and Services
Australia’s migration system changes frequently and can be complex and confusing. As an experienced migration law expert and registered migration agent bound by the Code of Conduct, Peter can confidently guide you through the migration system and provide you with the advice and assistance you need.
Since June 2003, Peter has been a director of Migration Practice Essentials and has taught migration agents and lawyers about various areas of migration law and procedure including employer sponsored migration, general skilled migration, partner migration, student visas and the complexities surrounding the migration law health criteria. Peter has also shared his knowledge by presenting migration law seminars for the Victorian Chapter of the Australian Institute of Administrative Law and RMIT University.
Media and Publications
• Contributing Editor, Australian Immigration Law Service published by Lexis Nexis since 2008
• Radio interviews to discuss migration law matters on ABC Radio National's Law Report on 6 December 2005 and JOY FM Melbourne in 2006
• Migration Law and HIV/AIDS: A door closes, but a window opens, HIV Australia, Vol. 5 No. 2, October-December 2006
• Migration Law and HIV, HIV Australia, Vol. 4 No. 3, March-May 2005
• MPE Seminar Papers - Partner Visas, Health Criteria, Student Visas, Skilled Migration Visas, Ethics and Professional Practice, File Management and Professional Conduct
• Health Criteria under Australian Immigration Law - Paper given at the Australian Institute of Administrative Law (Victorian Chapter) Annual Conference, 14 November 2001, Melbourne
• Contributions to various legal guides and newsletters including The Employment Law Factbook - A Guide for Employers, Mallesons Stephen Jaques Workplace Employment Relations Update, HIV/AIDS and Australian Permanent Residence: A step-by-step Guide (Victorian AIDS Council, 2003) and Australia's only gay and lesbian broadsheet newspaper Pink Broad